CUGOS talking at UW Certificate Program
28 Apr 2014
The event runs from 6-9pm and we’ll be meeting at UW Smith Hall - Sherman Lab RM 401
Meet little after 5pm at Cafe Solstice (4116 University Way NE) and walk over there together (will start walking around 5:40pm)
This comment came from the instructor: “The students are looking forward to hearing about OS tools. They have asked a few questions during the program, such as; has it become any easier to implement OS without huge development?, what skills are most needed to start using and implementing OS GIS tools?…”
Aiming for 2 hours plus change.
- (10 mins) @pkeum PeterK - Quick Introduction of speakers and CUGOS. Using Open Source tools to display KC Combined Sewer Overflow data.
- (15 minutes) @aaronr will talk about being an Open Source GIS developer, working with NOAA as an example, and lay down some advice. slides - aaronr.github.io/uw-cert-14
- (15 minutes) @mattmakesmaps will talk about the OpenStreetMap project, how people are using the data, and how to contribute. Slides
- (15 minutes) @lagerratrobe will talk about using open source tools at different jobs; why use them, and which have been the most useful.
(15 minutes) @svmatthews plans to talk about taking your data to the internet starting with simple leaflet maps to a brief on D3.js slides
- (until end of session - ~20-30 minutes) @mpgerlek (moderator) Panel discussion on Open Source GIS, OSGeo, Jobs, and Q/A with students